- Have a responsible adult accompany you
- Only take the medications you were specifically told to take by your doctor for the day of surgery with a small sip of water.
- Remain NPO. Absolutely no food, drink, gum, or ice chips usually after midnight the day before surgery. This helps prevent you from vomiting while you are under anesthesia. This can be dangerous if it happens during anesthesia.
- If you are a smoker, you should try to stop.
- Remain at home for the day. Take it easy and rest.
- Start slowly with liquids and slowly progress to a light meal.
Medications stay in your system for 24 hours or more after they are given.
- Drive a car for 24 hours
- Operate equipment for 24 hours.
- Make important decisions or sign documents for the day.
- Take any medications unless prescribed or discussed with your doctor.
- Drink any alcohol.